Today I am going to share an avocado recipe that can be eaten for any meal, but I like to use them for breakfast. Pretty much- it comes down to an avocado and an egg. Sounds simple, but the combination produces the most complex flavors ever.
These are also extremely customizable. A little salt and pepper, a small amount of cheese, some pepper flakes… Each added element takes the dish and transforms it into something different. The combinations are seriously endless! You could eat this all day… Well, I could at least.
People tend to be afraid of fats. But please do not be! Your body, especially your brain, THRIVES off of fats. Plus, the fats found in an avocado are perfect for your body, full of omegas and so much nutrients. Avocados are even a complete protein! Who would have thought? Your body will thank you for eating this. And trust me, your taste buds definitely will, too.
This is something I make for breakfast, add to my lunches, or even serve with my dinner. If you work out, this would be an awesome pre gym snack. The protein and healthy fats will give you a great energy boost! That is another reason to incorporate this into your breakfast, to ensure you start you day off right. If you like sweet breakfasts, this pairs nicely with a bowl of fruit.
- Avocado, cut in half with the pit removed
Salt, pepper, 2tbs low-fat cheese, pepper flakes, half a lemon, etc. This is where you can get creative and add whatever you want. Sometimes I put a little hot sauce, or even serve it with sautéed veggies. But this dish is truly immaculate on its own.
1. Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Scoop out a little bit of the avocado. You should want about 1-2 inches of rim around the avocado
3. Carefully break the eggs into the avocado. The egg whites might spill over the side, but that is totally ok. Just wipe the sides a before placing in the oven. As long and your yolk is in the whole, you are golden. Add your salt and pepper, lemon, or cheese before putting it in the oven.
4. Bake for about 10 minutes. You want the egg whites to be cooked and your yolk to be set. But you do want the yolk to still be nice runny, not cooked all the way through. Watch carefully, that is key to an amazing avocado egg!
5. Take the avocados out of the oven and add your extras. This is where you would add chili flakes, hot sauce, etc. Anything that you would not want to bake in the oven.