It’s hard to change the perspective of the people on kitchen appliances, and it largely depends upon their preferences. But again, there may be a huge logical difference between what they think and what the reality is. This is the reason why we’ve decided to conduct a detailed research on Hand Mixer vs. Stand Mixer.
While both are essential for kitchen in their own ways, each has some advantages and limitations as well. So, this post is all about Pros and Cons of Hand Mixers and Stand Mixers. Don’t mind if you’re favoring any one of them. You’ll always learn a thing or two from comparative analysis, such as this.
Stand Mixer features a heavy-duty motor housed inside a heavy-duty metallic body. The overall frame consists of the following elements:
- Mounting base for mixing bowl: The bowl is placed and locked properly to avoid any damages or loss of ingredients.
- Space for mounting mixing attachments: just below where the motor is, there is an attachment slot for different accessories, such as flat beater, whisks, dough hooks, wired beater, blender and more.
Home-based models are obviously smaller in size. An average sized home model has a bowl that can hold up to 4 quarts of mixture. Stand mixers for homes are generally kept on the kitchen countertop.
Benefits of stand mixer
- Large mixing bowl helps mix the liquid without splashing its ingredients out.
- Bowl is kept stable, so you don’t have to use your other hand to constantly hold it for the entire time.
- Stand-mixer allows you to multi-task. You can concentrate on other cooking tasks while the mixing is being performed.
- Stand mixers often contain timers and automatic stop features.
- Because of the powerful motor and durable attachments, you can mix anything, even the thickest of doughs.
- Stand mixer comes with, or has space for, a whole range of mixing attachments.
Limitations of stand mixer
- Stand mixers are quite expensive and many customers cannot afford them.
- Small kitchens have space issues, and stand mixer, due to their weight and size, can eat up a lot of kitchen space.
- While mixing is quick, the cleaning part is quite difficult and time consuming
- Stand mixer can be high energy consuming appliance in your home, since it has a powerful motor.
Hand mixer can be considered as a lightweight and smaller version of stand mixer. Following are the basic components of hand mixer:
- Smaller, less-powerful motor compared to stand mixer
- Metallic or plastic frame that works as a housing for the motor as well as for attachments.
- At the top, there is a handle to hold the appliance properly while mixing.
Typically, hand mixers are categorized into two types; eggbeater and electric hand mixer. Electric hand mixers are quite common these days and following are the reasons why they’ve become so popular.
Advantages of Electric Hand Mixers
- Hand held mixer is less expensive than stand mixer
- The cleaning part of electric hand mixers is a lot quicker compared to stand mixers.
- Hand mixers are easier to operate. You can control different speeds with a single button. They feature ejection button to remove attachments so, you can clean and store them easily. Moreover, most the attachments are cheap and replaceable.
- Hand mixers don’t take much place in your kitchen. In fact, you can store them anywhere, in the cabinet.
- Since hand mixers can be stored anywhere, you don’t need to spend too much on maintenance.
- For whipping egg whites and cream, hand mixers are more suited.
- Hand mixers have light weight. Even kids can learn to use them with parental guidance.
- They are portable and allow you to use them in any kind of bowl.
- Some of the best hand mixer models are so powerful, they can even perform toughest mixing tasks. That means, you can use them for stand mixers.
- Hand mixers have limited power and mixing capability
- There is a risk of damaging the bowl if it’s not held properly. Inconsistent pressure can also turn your mixing into a floor mess.
- Most hand mixers cannot mix thick batter. You need expensive models to deal with them.
By and large, a limitation of one turns out to be the advantage of another. Having mentioned that, don’t overlook the fact that hand mixers are getting lighter, more multifunctional and more powerful with time. Finally, it all depends upon you which one you should go for. Professional cooks and chefs use both for efficient cooking.